Sunday, October 22, 2006

Umbriel: Introduction

My name is Umbriel. I come from the planet called Zumiklox. It orbits Barnard's star.

Here is a picture of me with sir Isaac Newton, the newt.


I have never known my parents. I was brought up in an orphanage. It was not really a bad place but the director had studied on Vulcan and thought that Vulcan methods of education were the most efficient. Therefore the discipline was rather strict and the children were required to study very hard and even play was supposed to be educational and instructive.

However, the system was based on trust , and the children were not always closely watched, and I used to sneak out to explore the surroundings when we were supposed to be meditating in solitude.

On one of those excursions I found a ring of keys that puzzled me greatly at first. They did not seem to fit any lock around the place. But then I found out that they can open portals to different times, places and even parallel universes.

First I was gone only for short periods of time but then I found a wonderful amusement park. I stayed there way too long, and when I intended to go back, the portal had disappeared. I found another portal nearby, but it turned to out not to be the original one. It took me to a totally different place.

Since then I have been in so many places and times that I'm now totally lost and can no longer find my way back home - if you call an orphanage a home.

The last portal took me to Korea to a big adoption center. And before I noticed I had been closed in a box and shipped to Finland. And I've stayed here since. But I still have my five keys which means I'm free to leave any time I want. I'm staying here voluntarily.

Here is a picture of my five keys:


From left to right their function is:
1) Imagination.This key takes the traveller to a fairy tale or other imaginary world.
2) Time. This key takes the traveller to any time, past or future.
3) Space. This key takes the traveller to any place.
4) Alternative Universes. This key takes the traveller to a parallel universe. Some may be quite similar to ours, some are totally different.
5) In-between. This key takes the traveller to a place between life and death or some netherworld (Tuonela, Hades, etc.)

Outsider's addition:
The name "Umbriel" means "dusky, melancholy sprit". It is the name of one of the moons of Uranus. Umbriel is originally a character in Alexander Pope's poem "The Rape of the Lock".

1 comment:

caterina said...

The creative functions that you have giiven Umbriel's keys open amazing possibilities!

I so much enjoy reading about the adventures of your resin children. My own are quite envious and urge me to become familair with the digital camera so they, too, can share stories.

Caterina